Another release for Windows and Linux just in time for Christmas! Mac version coming next week.
For Linux users: Note that in order to use apt to install it from the repository, you need to add the ubuntu repository "artful". If you do not do that, you will not be able to access the new version. Alternatively, just download the .deb from fractorium.com and install directly. I had to move to artful to use a newer version of Qt.
This release focuses mostly on bug fixes and new variations, but has a couple of cool new features that are important: Support for 4K monitors and the ability to create multiple linked xforms at once. Thanks to the users who helped me out with reporting bugs, testing and adding new features: IDeviant, RationalParadox, triptychaos and others!
Important issues are bolded below.
--User changes -Support 4k monitors, and in general, properly scale any monitor that is not HD.
-Allow for a spatial filter of radius zero, which means do not use a spatial filter.
-Add new variations: concentric, cpow3, helicoid, helix, randCubes, rays1, rays2, rays3, sphereblur.
-Use a new method for computing elliptic which is more precise. Developed by Discord user Claude. -Remove the 8 variation per xform limitation on the GPU. You can now use as many variations per xform as you want.
-Allow for loading the last flame file on startup, rather than randoms.
-Use two different default quality values in the interactive renderer, one each for CPU and GPU.
-Creating linked xforms was using non-standard behavior. Make it match Apo and also support creating multiple linked xforms at once.
--Bug fixes -No variations in an xform used to have the same behavior as a single linear variation with weight 1. While sensible, this breaks backward compatibility. No variations now sets the output point to zeroes.
-Prevent crashing the program when adjusting a value on the main window while a final render is in progress. -The xaos table was inverted.
-Place the xforms and palette tabs in a scroll area to prevent weird sizing problems on low resolution monitors.
-Allow group dragging and floating of dock widgets.
-Make some tables auto size to their contents because some text appeared obscured on Linux.
-Opening an Xml was not properly setting the background field on the GUI, even though it was correctly parsed and used.
-Clicking random palette when using a palette file with 2 palettes could lead to a program freeze.
In addition to these new features and bug fixes, I've gotten around to my long sought after goal of making a benchmarking suite. I've gotten flames from users golubaja, tatasz, tyrantwave, and zy0rg (major thanks to all). I run some tests on the CPU and GPU and put the results in a spreadsheet, which you can analyze further on your own. In order to run the benchmark, go into the Bench subfolder in the install folder:
Open up a powershell window there and ensure you have permission to run scripts on your machine by running:
> Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope CurrentUser -ExecutionPolicy Bypass
You only have to do this once.
Edit the file EmberBench.ps1 and see the third line:
> $devices = "2"//Set this to whatever device index your main GPU resides at. If you are unsure, just run emberrender --opencl info to find out.
You need to set that device index to whatever device index your GPU resides at.
Save the file, close all other programs, then run
Which will take a about 15 minutes and output the results into a file in the parent folder called benchout.csv. It also creates benchout.txt which just gives the program output if you're interested in it.
Open benchout.csv in a spreadsheet viewer and optionally make a bar chart out of it to see how different flames perform in terms of iterations per second on the CPU and GPU.fractorium.com/